[VisCom] EuroOSCON planning?

Tyler Mitchell tylermitchell at shaw.ca
Mon Aug 14 13:27:04 EDT 2006

I guess our Viscom minutes haven't been clear enough for you guys :)

EuroOSCON has been discussed briefly at our previous VisCom meetings
and we have touched base with Autodesk organisers on this.  But due
to most of being swamped on OSCON and GeoWeb prep, it was deferred
until we had time again - so it is planned for discussion at this
Thursday's meeting.  If you are interested/concerned please plan to
be there. http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Tenth_VisCom_Meeting

For your background.. Lisa Landers is the lead on this from
Autodesk's end though at least two other staff are also involved.
The next step for VisCom is to have a volunteer contact to be 'on the
ground' helping Autodesk organisers - I believe Arnulf has showed
interested in the past.  This method has worked well in the past few
conferences as each of us takes on a conference and is the primary
contact for Autodesk staff.  Autodesk staff have also been excellent
helpers by joining our meetings and giving us a task list.  We take
some items, they take some items (including liaison with O'Reilly).

So - who is going and can be a key contact for Autodesk?  You would
need to be able to help organise things such as: volunteer
recruitment using free passes, booth planning and volunteeer roster,
planning for BOF events, coordinating develop and printing of
material, booth setup/placement, distributing handouts, finding
speakers, coordinating speaker topics, registering volunteers,
finding/organising media interview opportunities, booth volunteers?
Anyone interested? :)  Seriously though, between the several Autodesk
staff and VisCom, theses are the kinds of tasks that are involved -
fortunately Autodesk takes care of much of the hard work for us!

As an aside, it is becoming obvious (to me at least) that VisCom is
going to become increasingly stretched between "Events", "Project
propaganda", "Press Releases", etc.  Helping with events could easily
be VisCom's full time job since there are so many events happening.

Talk to you on Thursday morning :)

Tyler