The thrilling benefits of OSGeo membership

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Fri Sep 8 13:00:24 EDT 2006

dear VisCom, (and WebCom cross-lurkers),

It would be possible if wanted to use the drupal-based "community portal"
site at http://community.osgeo.org/ to register the details of people
who come by the various OSGeo project booths at FOSS4G and EuroOSCON.

I made a stub page at http://community.osgeo.org/membership/ which
links through to the user registration module - I see Tyler put in a
great effort of replicating Frank's spec for user data to collect at
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Membership_Application

If any of you felt like writing up, or wiki mining a writeup of, the
exciting benefits of becoming a member of OSGeo, that would be great.
Feedback on how this feels would also be of benefit.

Issues here are:
- This needs to be integrated with LDAP in future. I just turned LDAP
  authentication off for now.
- There's no link through to a payment mechanism for sponsoring
  membership. I recall some uncertainty about how soon this could
  happen - paypal is set up but there's no provision for 'free schwag'

I wish I'd had the time and stamina to do more on this site this week;
apols. I think it's a good basic framework and with a bit of CSS
slap-up would be worth pointing people at, but it may not have the
right 'VisCom gloss' yet.

cheers,

jo