Hawaii (open source talk at PacGeo conference)

Giguere, Thomas A thomas.giguere at intergraph.com
Thu Sep 21 03:21:37 EDT 2006

Ben, Frank;
Thanks for your interest...sorry for the late response.  Basically, the
conference agenda took a turn.  We were originally planning to have an
Open Source GIS section and several other session at the conference, but
when we combined PacGeo with HCPO we lost some time slots.  The
open-source full session was one of the casualities.
But the good news is that there is one talk on the subject, maybe you
know Lance?:

Data Management and Sharing Applications I
   Lance Goode  An Introduction to Open Source Geospatial Technologies
   Pacific Geospatial Anahola, HI
This presentation introduces a selection of some of the more popular
Open Source geospatial tools and technologies in use today. MapServer,
originally developed by the University of Minnesota, is an Open Source
environment for building spatially-enabled internet applications.
PostGIS, created by Refractions Research, adds support for geographic
objects to PostgreSQL, an Open Source object-relational database system.
The presentation includes a functional overview of both of these
systems, as well as discussion about other Open Source tools that are
commonly used in conjunction with these products. Both Mapserver and
PostGIS include implementation of specifications created by the Open
Geospatial Consortium, Inc. (OGC), an international body that leads the
development standards for geospatial and location based services. The
presentation will be followed by a technology demonstration that will
show both Mapserver and PostGIS in action.

Here's the link to the conference talks, you are welcome to attend if
you're visiting Oahu.
http://www.higicc.org/pacgeo2006/program.html
If you plan on stopping by, let me know and we'll meet up.
Thanks again!
Tom

Thomas Giguere
Sr. Systems Consultant
Security, Government & Infrastructure (SG&I) Division
Intergraph Corporations (NASDAQ:INGR)
P.O. Box 75330, Kapolei, HI 96707
P 1.808.672.0668 M 1.808.782.1408
thomas.giguere at intergraph.com, www.intergraph.com