[Viscom-dev] Event Planning Thoughts

Tyler Mitchell tylermitchell at shaw.ca
Fri Jan 26 19:56:54 EST 2007

On 26-Jan-07, at 4:25 PM, Michael P. Gerlek wrote:
>   - 3-4 major events at $10-50K each  =>  $30K to 200K
>
>   - 5-10 regular events at $500-$2500  =>  $2500 to $25K
>
>   - 5-10 local events at $500-$2500  =>  $2500 to $25K
>
> This comes out to $35K to $250K (yikes).

I'd assume some level of sponsorship for the larger events.  For the
most part the events themselves will likely give us a deal or we can
glean booth space from a sponsor, etc.  But the primary costs will be
booth material and set-up, etc. I'd also assume local volunteers or
ones that won't need help with travel and hotel (big assumption in
some cases).

In my mind I saw the breakdown to be more like:

* 1 mega-major event - 15-20k
* 2-3 major events - 5-10k
* 4-5 regular events - 2-5k
* 4-5 local events - 500-1,000

total == 23k - 36k  - this is somewhat near the pie-in-the-sky promo
budget the board discussed I think (??)

Maybe I'm too optimistic that our sponsors will help donate space,
etc. but I think this will work out in the end and we have good
indications for some events that we can get donated space - or
serious discounts from the venue itself.  We are in a good spot where
events are wanting us to come so they have someone covering open
source at their show.

These are just quick thoughts, will follow-up further later,