[Viscom-dev] Merger with WebCom?

Michael P. Gerlek mpg at lizardtech.com
Wed Mar 21 17:04:27 EDT 2007

I'm not so sure we do have the volunteer resources to staff as many
non-small events as we'd like -- aside from Arnulf and Intergeo, I'm not
sure we're well-off.  I know Josh could use more help for Where, and I
feel like you (Tyler) sort of got stuck with both AU and Location
Intelligence by default.  I certainly don't think it should have to be
the ED role to *run* all the events!

I guess what I meant my separating out the Big Events to the ED role is
precisely because it requires so much work up front to figure out where
the money is coming from; I don't see many of us being able to do that
well, and in fact I'm not sure such a financial responsibility ought to
be distributed.  Furthermore, by saying "we will do N big shows" implies
that we *will* do them -- and then if no one can readily commit to a
full-on effort to seeing each one through, I feel like it falls to
VisCom to "make sure it happens".  I'd almost rather see the ED be able
to say to the world "we have $ for the X event, is there anyone willing
to run it?" -- and then it gets run as a a mini-task-force, not VisCom
proper, kind of like we're treating FOSS4G.  Could VisCom fill that
role?  Yes, probably, but I (speaking for myself) don't feel I've been
successful at managing that.

And on other hand, of course, yes, VisCom will always have to help out
somehow, as we have the collateral, booth (maybe), etc.

*sigh*

I know we've gone around and around on this, but I think I myself am
lately still not comfortable with our general approach [which is why in
part I'm stepping down, I think we need some new blood and fresh
perspectives].

-mpg