[Board] Re: [Marketing] this issue of sponsorship for OSGeo presence at conferences

Yves Jacolin yjacolin at free.fr
Wed Oct 10 16:16:50 EDT 2007

Hi lists,

As far as I am concerned, I would like to give some details/reflexion. First
of all, OSGeo-fr will find a solution about the sponsorisation of this event.
Although this will not be easy, OSGeo-fr will be present (I don't know
exactly how we will but we will :) ).

Secondly, Local Chapter could need some help (for funding, building etc) from
OSGeo. I don't know if the comparison is interresting, but Local chapter can
be seen like OSGeo project. Sometime, it could be interesting to get some
help from a supervisor like the project get one in the incubating process. In
my mind, OSGeo-fr is still in an incubating process although it has been
officialy accepted by OSGeo 3 weeks ago.

We have still some issues about organizing. This could be seem quiete far from
the initial topic, but the fact is we don't know exactly what are the
important steps before to begin project. Build a local community from almost
nothing is not easy and may be I failed to ask so help from OSGeo (Tyler is a
great help for this of course, I would like to thanks him for all the help is
bring to me). I would be really interesting to share information with all
local chapter about this.

Do you thing is important to begin by looking for sponsorship from companies
before to begin Promotion and Visiblity projet (aka Marketing) of OSGeo? I
think now that OSGeo-fr should focus on create legal organisation and find
some sponsorship before managing a booth at the trade show.

Sorry if my answer is too far from the initial topic.

Best regards,

Y.
(Yves Jacolin)

--