[Marketing] GeoWeb conference opportunties

Michael P. Gerlek mpg at lizardtech.com
Tue Feb 12 12:49:55 EST 2008

GeoWeb 2008 is this year doing a Student Competition, the idea of which
will be to award a substantial cash prize for the best technical
contribution(s) submitted.  If software is included as part of the
contribution, it must be open source (w00t!).

http://www.geoweb.org/student_contest.asp

Google and Galdos are the two initial sponsors for this contest, and
they are both putting in a substantial amount, probably enough to
"endow" future such competitions.

I'd like to see OSGeo support this conference, as I intend to be pushing
for papers and content relating to applications of open source solutions
to the GIS infrastructure problems being focussed on this year.  And
ideally, I think, OSGeo could offer it's support in line with this
educational initiative of supporting students.

I'm not thinking much money: we could probably get at least our logo on
the program for US$1000.

[disclaimer: yes, I'm on the GeoWeb committee...]

Comments? Where does our budget stand?

-mpg