[Marketing] Re: logo comments

Arnulf Christl (OSGeo) arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Wed Jul 2 16:24:17 EDT 2008

On Wed, July 2, 2008 20:00, Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:
> On 2-Jul-08, at 12:59 AM, Jeroen Ticheler wrote:
>

>> However, I just committed the new logos in EPS, GIF and JPEG format
>> to the marketing/logos folder. If there's a need for other formats, let
>> me know so I can ask Ines. Otherwise this is it :-)
>
> I'm looking at them now.  It'd be nice to have PNG, but as long as
> the JPEGs are lossless then creating them should be no problem.  I did
> notice that these are not "transparent friendly", seemingly designed only
> for a white background.  In one spot (lower right of circle) there is a
> white section used as a mask that won't work in the long run.
>
> Tyler

On Wed, July 2, 2008 20:00, Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:
> On 2-Jul-08, at 12:59 AM, Jeroen Ticheler wrote:
>

>> However, I just committed the new logos in EPS, GIF and JPEG format
>> to the marketing/logos folder. If there's a need for other formats, let
>> me know so I can ask Ines. Otherwise this is it :-)
>
> I'm looking at them now.  It'd be nice to have PNG, but as long as
> the JPEGs are lossless then creating them should be no problem.  I did
> notice that these are not "transparent friendly", seemingly designed only
> for a white background.  In one spot (lower right of circle) there is a
> white section used as a mask that won't work in the long run.
>
> Tyler

Hi,
we can create the logos in various sizes and add them to the Wiki and
website as we did for the old one. I have now added a few cropped version
without page size white background to SVN:
OSGeo_Compass_test_transparent.png
OSGeo_Main_test_alpha_transprent.png
OSGeo_Main_test_white_border.png
OSGeo_Main_test_white_gigantic.png
OSGeo_Main_test_white.png

They are all still "test" because they have a strange color mix in light
green tones. Can this be adjusted so that it works with gimp directly?
Tyler, what did you use to make the logos as gif and jpg (we do not really
need JPEG, do we?)?

If you look at _gigantic in full resolution you can see some
irregularities on the top spine and right spines. Maybe this could be
smoothed out as it will show in big size cloths and as screen bakcground
in the Wiki (to some day replace the Wikipedia book).

How much border around the logo do we need
(OSGeo_Main_test_white_border.png one has 20 horizontal and 15 vertical)?
We should probably have versions with and without border.

Please check whether OSGeo_Main_test_alpha_transprent.png is transparent
in your browser. It would help if you could check with various browsers,
operating systems and software. I do not have a Microsoft Internet
Exploder 6 to test with but I know that the old logo was not transparent
but gray in some cases.

Best regards,
Arnulf.

--