[Marketing] Marketing Budget

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 16:53:43 EDT 2008

Frank, I think this will be money well spent, and our job is to work out
how we can make the money give its greatest impact. $50K will cover
basic essentials, but will not cover our world wide marketing activities.
$50K equates to ~ $3K per local chapter. For background, rough minimal
costs for setting up a booth at a conference are ~ $5K. So OSGeo can
afford to pay for half a conference per year for each chapter.

So the Marketing Committee will need to manage expectations regarding
funding. We should be clear that the best the OSGeo can do is contribute
to material for the conference: shirts, LiveCDs, fliers, banner, etc.

Local committees should take ownership of presentations and manning
booths, which will help build the local OSGeo industry, reduce travel
and accommodation costs, (and reduce our Carbon footprint).

We should be focusing on presenting ourselves as quality. Better to have
less quality material than lots of half finished material.

Local committees should cry poor to conference organisors (noting that
OSGeo is a Not For Profit) and you will likely have your registration
fee waived or reduced. (This has worked for us a number of times in
Australia).

Rough Conference Costs:

Cost of booth
	$4,000
Flights for 2 people (others from conference will likely join stand)
	$  500
Accommodation + expenses  for 3 days x 2 people
	$1,200
Print outs, LiveCD etc
	$  200
Business OSGeo Shirts x 10. (Projects a professional image which is
important)
	$  400
OSGeo banner / signage, can be reused
	$  250
Furniture Hire
	$  250
Lost wages for employees manning stand for 3 days x 2 people.
	$...

--
Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Systems Architect