[Marketing] Marketing Meeting 9/10-Dec - Marketing Focus

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at lisasoft.com
Wed Dec 9 15:16:27 EST 2009

I hope to make this meeting (I'll be on the bus with a flaky internet,
so may drop out).

In thinking about marketing, I'm not sure we have a clear message as to
WHY we are marketing.

In a conventional company this question is clear, they want to make more
money, which they can do by selling more product, so the marketing focus
is to convince consumers to buy product.

Closely followed on this question, is HOW are we going to resource the
marketing? Through funds or volunteer labour. If we are relying on
volunteer labour, then we need to very clearly describe the vision, and
make it very compelling, otherwise the volunteers will do something else.

Here are some possible answers:
1. OSGeo wishes to attract sponsor dollars to cover essential running
costs. In that case, we need to profile sponsors, and then provide
marketing which is valuable for sponsors. Eg: Having a sponsor's logo on
the website may drive sales to the sponsor. The sponsor will also be
likely volunteer to contribute time to developing marketing material for
OSGeo.

2. OSGeo wishes to promote the OSGeo projects under its umbrella. This
will result in increased uptake of these projects, which results in
increased sales of related services (support, code extensions etc). The
projects will likely provide resources to create marketing material for
their projects.

Related to this, OSGeo should be creating a specific OSGeo brand. We
already have a brand name built around "Open Source" and "Geospatial".
Less emphasised, but very important in the marketplace is "Quality",
"Reliability", "Integration", "Commercial Support", "Training",
"Documentation". These are criteria that software purchasers look for,
and so should be emphasised. There are strong commercial reasons for
addressing these "Quality" properties of OSGeo and so we should be able
to find volunteers to address these components for most projects.

This marketing message leads into a comment [1] I made earlier on the
incubation list:
* That in order to keep up with the market, and ensure that our OSGeo
projects remain competitive, we should be gradually raising the bar for
both incubation and incubated projects so that we strengthen the
"Quality" message in the "OSGeo" story. Most projects are continually
improving their sales story, and the OSGeo brand should be raised to
match this.

I suggest that we as the marketing committee should do define exactly
what we want from each project to incorporate into our marketing material:
Something like:

within 6 months: 1 page flier describing the project
within 12 months: Packaging of project into LiveDVD  or debian, or osgeo4win
within 18 months: Tutorials on how to use core functionality for the project
within 2 years: Tutorials for all functionality
within 3 years: Training material incorporated into tertiary education
courses / OSGeo reference book

[1] http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/incubator/2009-October/001327.html