[Marketing] OSGeo Branding ...end of the road?

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 04:05:31 EDT 2009

> Just a quick note regarding the branding.. yes, still open.  I have some
> emails from designer that I have to deal with as well.  Part of that is a
> guideline doc and overview.  I'm behind on this for sure.

That would be great. Tyler I can try and field some of those questions
if you like based on trying to use them :-) I did notice the recent
osgeo report that has gone out - would that be available as a
template?

> After wrapping up the marketing materials I'd like to turn our sites to the
> other design ideas, etc. - in particular the website ideas that have been
> kicked around for a while in a few places and ways.  As part of that I hope
> we'll have more discussion and comparison of mock-ups, samples, ideas, etc.
> We had a great meeting a few months back (January??) on some of this.

Correct - that is what caused me to take an interest in this again.

> Daniele did you get much feedback on your questions back then?  Jody, do you
> have any specific questions you'd like feedback on?

I have sent the questions out previously; it was more noticing the
gaps - and I was never able to use the presentation slides as
provided. The design idea for the content slides did not leave enough
room for actual content; the area for text on the title page did not
really work out with enough space for an author name and organization
etc...

>  I did like your current layout :)  But I'm sure the "new" one will be great too. Though I
> see what you were trying to accomplish, maybe we're putting cart before
> horse - talking about overall project site branding when our own 'main' one
> isn't solidified?

Correct; that is the difficulty. I cannot ask any member project to
take on OSGeo branding elements - when they are not established; or
used by the OSGeo website. I really like the idea of having the OSGeo
logo in the same location for each member project; and would like to
ask for an about link etc.

> Anyway, this is quick braindump before bed - hope I can follow up further in the morning.

Cheers,
Jody