[Marketing] OSGeo benefits

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue Apr 27 13:51:26 EDT 2010

In addition to the dual vendor idea I usually add this explanation.

You could spend your money on 5 licenses for a big tool that might do
what you want or you could spend the money on a developer/support to
make the tool you need and use it on as many computers as you need.
It's not always a pure cost savings but a shift in the allocation of
money in a way that makes you work more efficiently and ensure 100%
support for all issues but without the risk of having to write
completely in house software(meaning there are plenty of people around
the world you could hire at any moment to do the work for you).

Sorry hard to put that in a bullet point.

Alex

Paul Ramsey wrote:
> Too many squishies. #1 is save money. Here's #2 and 3
>
> 2 --
> Gain leverage with your vendor, by pursuing a dual-vendor strategy.
>
> http://jamesdixon.wordpress.com/2009/04/07/reduce-software-costs-with-a-dual-vendor-strategy/
>
> 3 --
> Gain future systems flexibility by pursuing a more flexible, component
> oriented technology strategy.
>
> http://opengeo.org/publications/opengeo-architecture/
>
> N --
> Engage your technology staff, by offering them something new to learn
> and master. Techies love open source.
>

> On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 7:51 AM, Venka <venka.osgeo at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Jo,
>>
>> 8) Earn respect from worldwide community
>> 9) Gain pride by doing something more than just money
>>
>> my 2 cents.
>>
>> Venka
>>
>> On 2010/04/27 23:36, Jo Walsh wrote:
>>> So, benefits to local government of using and supporting open source (in
>>> general) and OSGeo in particular -
>>>
>>> 1) Save money
>>> 2) Grow small local business
>>> 3) Share knowledge with peer organisations
>>> 4) Be part of a wider governance culture
>>> 5) Rapid access to innovations
>>> 6) Preservation through open standards