[Marketing] Re: Use of modified OSGeo logo

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Mon Aug 30 14:58:58 EDT 2010

On 10-08-29 8:41 PM, Cameron Shorter wrote:
> Tyler,
> Someone has brought it to my attention that the OSGeoLive project [1]
> is breaking OSGeo Acceptable Logo Usage requirements [2] by modifying
> the logo (with a blue heart, and words "Live").
>
> I remember seeing similar discussion of modified use of the logo for
> local chapters, and for a consensus that it should be encouraged, but
> it seems this feeling has not made it into official documentation.
>
> Can you please confirm that it is ok us to use the OSGeoLive logo as
> per [1].
> Could you please let us know whether there is any process in place to
> update [2].
>
> [1] http://live.osgeo.org/
>
> [2]
> http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/export/2914/marketing/guidelines/v2/branding_guide.pdf

Thanks for mentioning it Cameron.  The main thing we are trying to avoid
is brand confusion.  For example, if a local chapter remixes the OSGeo
logo in some way, it needs to be clear that they are not "OSGeo" proper
nor representing OSGeo officially in some way.

Likewise with the Live project.  It hasn't modified the logo any more
than local chapters have, but it could be a bit clearer how the project
relates back to OSGeo.  Obviously if it's got an osgeo.org address, it
ties back directly, but I'm thinking about those people who will be
introduced to "OSGeo Live" without going through any OSGeo related
website.  A note on the Live website about how it relates to the OSGeo
organisation and software would be valuable for several reasons, but in
this context it's important so people see can understand the difference
between "OSGeo" and "OSGeo Live".  Hope that makes some sense.

Yes we need to have a Marketing sprint to tidy up some of the docs on
this stuff.