[Marketing] Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] Comment on OSGeo Project Marketing template before we set it in stone

Seven (aka Arnulf) seven at arnulf.us
Sat Jun 5 08:23:08 EDT 2010

Cameron,
this should be tied directly to the project overviews / info sheets [1]
that are already available on the OSGeo website and "should" be
maintained by the projcets themselves. Tyler has provided really nicely
layouted templates to do just this. To me it does not make sense to make
projects deliver several different version that need to be maintained
and updated separately. It is hard enough to nudge, encourage and coerce
folks to maintain one such artefact.

We would need to check what to do with projects that have so far not
shown any interest / do not plan to get involved more closely with OSGeo
(yet). But I guess that a more neutral layout should be easy to glean
from what is there already.

Jason,
some time back we envisaged a project template with a free space in the
lower right corner. At conferences this can be used for some neutral
OSGeo info or business cards for folks appearing at an OSGeo booth.
Companies providing support can use these templates to add their logo /
stamp / business card in the lower right corner.

Sponsorship prospectus;
We (so far Tyler, Jeff and me) try improve our sponsorship prospectus
and we came up with a related idea to provide these flyer / brochure /
info sheets as readily printed out marketing material as an asset for
OSGeo sponsors. They can use shiny "original" OSGeo material for
marketing and add their brand to it with very little effort. This is
especially interesting for smaller companies who in general do not care
/ spend little time on creating marketing material. This would be a real
net added value for them and would mean little extra effort for OSGeo.

Would that be a type of commercial hint / support that goes better with
your concerns?

Best regards,
Arnulf.

[1] as examples: http://www.osgeo.org/mapserver