[Marketing] Sort of outreach pack?

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 13:18:08 PDT 2012

Jo,
I'm not sure what the exact question is here.

My suggestion is that you approach someone at the Police IT department,
and offer to give a presentation on the robust geospatial open source
alternatives that people are using elsewhere. Note your level of
experience and roles held within OSGeo, but probably not that you are
representing OSGeo.

The OSGeo Case studies and Live DVD docs might be useful resources:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Case_Studies
http://live.osgeo.org/en/index.html

On 21/10/2012 1:44 PM, Jo Walsh wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Our local police forces are going through a merger, looking to save
> money, seem to be struggling with very twentieth-century looking
> software, like someone took a paper based system and reworked it in
> Visual Basic.
>
> Anyway, I find their problems really interesting. I'm fantasising
> about getting free software + open geodata quickly solving some of the
> problems.
>
> OSGeo tools are obviously at the heart of that. And OSGeo with its
> guarantee of standard quality, persistence, should help as a convincer
> for what remains of their upper management. A glossy information pack
> would help, is there something like that around that one can send off
> for?
>
> My previous employer, EDINA, are big OSGeo users in the way that fish
> are big water users - what do you mean, option? - and I could invite
> them in to tell reassuring stories about things becoming more reliable
> and manageable as they migrated. (They still work with Cadcorp as
> well, though)
>
> Now, I don't know about the ethics of this: OSGeo would also serve as
> a flag of convenience for me. It would be "may I come and talk to you
> about OSGeo" rather than "may I talk to you as some kind of private
> consultant" (which I wouldn't really be doing either. I mostly just
> want a good look around). I mean, I would do justice to it too, I
> would hope. Would that be all right.
>

> --
> Sent

Cameron Shorter