[Marketing] Hangout session Get Interactive

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 09:32:57 PDT 2017

> Some suggestions for the website wiremap:
>
> https://projects.invisionapp.com/share/ZCBA3XH54#/screens
>
> * Can we please try to make the website as timeless as possible. Only add
> items such as "News" if we have a track record of keeping it maintained.

So far news is going well :)

> * For "Case Studies", this section is highly likely to become dated and
> unmaintained. I suggest linking to existing https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/
> Case_Studies . I suggest it also doesn't warrant to top level tab and
> probably should come under "About"

This is part of focusing on new users Cameron, trying to source case
studies from more locations, it will be one of the few ways for a vendor to
increase their visibility for example.
In this we are inspired by the QGIS team who has been able to maintain case
studies of some description.

> * I'd suggest adding an external link to "OSGeo-Live", probably from under
> the "Projects" tab

That is a good idea, have a "try out open source" under projects, linking
to OSGeo live and describe what is available, there are also some mac and
windows distributions.

> * I'd suggest going for a few less pages. KISS and Less words get read
> more.

** I'd merge under "Getting Involved": "FAQ", "Welcome", "Getting Started",
> "Communications", "MailingList", "IRC", "Members" and would add an external
> link to https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Advocate

You have hit on the boundary cases where the content is not specifically
directed at new end-users - but instead focused on OSGeo members. I expect
much of this could be moved to the wiki to keep the website smaller and
focused.

> * We need to include links to committee groups such as "Marketing",
> "Incubation", "Board" ... I suggest there all be grouped with Local
> Chapters under one generic heading call "Sub-groups" or similar

If you go back to the outreach focus you should see the reasoning behind
the breakdown:
- Committees describe the internal functioning of our foundation, most of
these groups are already happy communicating on the wiki.
- Local chapters are an out reach tool and should be highlighted on the
website.

Sorry I was unable to take better meeting notes, there was a concurrent
board meeting.