[Marketing] osgeo logo design feedback

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Mon May 8 13:59:58 PDT 2017

I just had a nice "coffee break" chat with Julie West from Boundless, here
is notes from her feedback:

Logo 1 Traditional

   - font, youthful
   - don't see gis professionals or someone who loves what they do in the
   code sprint
   - play on the white space of the logo
   - like the one color, easy on printing, simple
   - "OSG" looks more spaced out (because of letter shape), "Geo" appears
   more context
   - font does not match with the logo, logo has sharp edges, typeface is
   rounded
   - like the compass white space, look good inverted
   - comparison:
      - inside shape of compass is good, outside does not look like a
      compass
      - dark green with that green
      - text weight increase? no it is similar to others, but they have
      more contast

aside: enjoying the new qgis logo -
http://blog.qgis.org/2017/01/08/qgis-3-0-logo-voting-results/

Logo 2 Modern

   - like the inside part of this, and like the colors
   - do not get compass out of this shape, cartoon throwing star :)
      - just take the centre part?
   - OSGeo could be kerned in a bit more
   - use two colors?
      - these are fine, and have lots of contrast enough to tell the
      difference
   - don't have strong feedback on this one
   - comparison:
      - looks more open then the others, white space breaks throughout the
      logo match values of organization
      - centre of compass gets hard to see when small

Logo 3 Sophisticed

   - like this compass a lot, looks like it could spin or animate
   - curious about the light color for accessability (could it be difficult
   for color blind)
      - tested with accesability tool, it was okay but not great
   - "G" discussion, going to be hard G that has curves to match the rest
      - curious to see other font options
   - really like this compass (repated several times)
   - comparison:
      - fits in better
      - The "OS" appears faded (hard to see)when this is small, consider
      another green
      - like how thick this compass is
      - visually fits in between locationtech and boundless logos

Logo 4

   - a little risky
   - appricate "going outside of the box"
   - does not really work, font is a bit off
   - seperate into two words
   - thickness of outside of compass vs inside does not work
   - gradients inside logos risky for printing
   - comparison:
      - stands out, does not look like anything else

Logo 5 Revolutionairy

   - it is pretty
   - Like the gradient from purple to green in the spiral
   - cannot see the gradient when small, room for error when printing, or
   even a screen
   - Looks better for number 4, but more risk to it

One more suggestion:

   - once you start narrowing down
   - see what it looks like on different applications, real world
   applications
      - black, website, biz card, tshirt, conference banner