[MetaCRS] 'FOSS Maintained' Source of CRS Definitions

Richard Greenwood richard.greenwood at gmail.com
Mon May 12 23:06:32 EDT 2008

Nice read Norm, thanks, I learned a lot. It seems like there are two
different approaches, or issues, being discussed in this thread.
Unique identifiers, and parameter definition systems. EPSG provides a
unique identifier that points into a complex, proprietary database.
WKT and GML/XML attempt to provide all the parameters that are
required for a transform.

The EPSG unique identifier provides a concise, relatively unambiguous
definition that can be easily passed between various software. But
it's thin on flexibility.

The verbose WKT style can quickly become ambiguous and is difficult to
parse. On the plus side, it is often more self-contained, and more
readily customizable.

I'd be interested in your comments on my two favourite CRS definition
systems: the Autodesk style unique identifier e.g. "UTM83-12" and the
proj4 parameter definitions.

Rich