[bezema@lat-lon.de: Re: [martin.desruisseaux@geomatys.fr: Re: [MetaCRS] Introduction]]

Rutger Bezema bezema at lat-lon.de
Wed May 14 05:01:37 PDT 2008

Hi all,

let me start by saying, that I'm sorry if I've offended anyone with my
introduction mail, it was not my intention.  I was merely trying to signal, that
the deegree project is very willing to participate on the discussion of a common
crs model which could be interesting for a broad variety of users, without going
into the discussion on distinct project policies or philosophies.

Because I am with the deegree project for only two years, I personally do not
know all considerations on the movement of deegree away from geoapi. What I'm
told, is that much of the PSC decisions were based on a different interest
foundation on both fronts.

To explain the deegree project's considerations on the rewriting of the api:

we were faced with different customer requirements to implement specific
projections and some enhancements to the transformations, which is why we've
evalutated different spatial reference frameworks. We even integrated the proj4
library with a jni interface. Sadly we found, that a lot of our customers were
appalled by the idea of a c-library into a java framework, which is why we got
back from this.  It was concluded, that it would be beneficial (for us and other
frameworks as well), to create a new "lightweight" spatial reference library and
formed the design goals, as stated yesterday.

We are aware of the potential short comings of our implementation in some use
cases, but are convinced that the framework is more than sufficient in most
ones.

So I would like to state again that it would be nice to combine our resources
and to participate in crs-related discussions, but I must point out that
different projects may have different needs which can hopefully be taken into
account to our mutual benefit.

I hope to have cleared the air a little :-)

with kind regards,
Rutger Bezema

--
l a t / l o n  GmbH
Aennchenstrasse 19           53177 Bonn, Germany

On June 17 is deegree day - Am 17. Juni ist deegree day
              http://deegree.org/deegreeday