[bezema@lat-lon.de: Re: [martin.desruisseaux@geomatys.fr: Re:[MetaCRS] Introduction]]

Rutger Bezema bezema at lat-lon.de
Fri May 16 07:52:18 PDT 2008

Hi Frank,
Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Rutger Bezema wrote:
> >I think Frank Warmerdam's point, that "...there are definitions EPSG doesn't
> >want to represent for good reasons", is valid. I believe it to be one of the
> >reasons, that the creation and maintanance of one super crs library will be a
> >project with lots of 'extreme timeconsuming' side effects, and with
> >marginally gains. In my opinion the geotools and deegree approach to supply
> >different file format readers, will --in the end-- keep the sub sets of
> >databases managable without having to reinvent the wheel every time.
> >
> >I believe a collection of such standardized 'Providers' would be most
> >beneficial for all spatial referencing projects, independent of the
> >programming language.
>
> Rutger,
>
> I'm afraid, I once again seem to be missing folks point.  I assumed the
> Providers you were talking about were basically software to read definitions
> in different formats, and return them in some normalized internal form for
> your package but that doesn't jive with the providers being independent of the
> programming language.
>
> I am basically imagining us writing some tools to translate various things
> into a nominal main format (perhaps a MetaCRS profile of GML CRS) and then the
> various projects could convert this into their native dictionary format.

Sorry, I might have been not very clear, what I meant was constructing a set of
'Parsers' or 'Providers' which would return a standardized format, with a simple
but usefull interface. It doesn't matter than in what language such a provider
would have been implemented.

This way, all srs-packages would only create a single mapping function which makes a
call to such a provider and receives the standardized code (may it be xml, text
or binary, but in any case standardized), so that each srs-project only needs to
implement one parser to talk to all supported backends.

with kind regards,
Rutger

--
l a t / l o n  GmbH
Aennchenstrasse 19           53177 Bonn, Germany