[MetaCRS] Re: Introduction]]

Rutger Bezema bezema at lat-lon.de
Tue May 20 06:28:57 PDT 2008

Hi Frank,

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> You make this sound like the backend providers are being invoked at runtime,
> in which case I would think that implementation language would matter!

Not if bindings for the language in question were provided.

> However, this is essentially what I'm proposing - but done in batch.  That
> is, we construct a variety of tools which we can use to translate various
> dictionaries into some common normalized form, and then we distribute these
> and the various package make sure they can either read this normalized form
> at runtime, or distribute their own dictionaries derived from this normalized
> form.

It seems I failed to read it out of your mail, sorry!

> Some dictionaries (ie. EPSG) will need to be retranslated fairly often.
> Others may be fairly static (perhaps a one time utility to generate them).
> And some (one?) may be essentially manually created with various special
> case coordinate systems we want to support.

thus it would seem to be a logical step to use/choose a dictionary closely related
to the most commonly used. EPSG?

> Best regards,
> --
With kind regards,
Rutger

--
l a t / l o n  GmbH
Aennchenstrasse 19           53177 Bonn, Germany

On June 17 is deegree day - Am 17. Juni ist deegree day
              http://deegree.org/deegreeday