[MetaCRS] Re: Equirectangular / Equidistant Cylindrical Parameters

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Nov 27 22:40:49 EST 2008

Folks,

Based on advice from a few people, and certain amount of pressure to produce
the GDAL 1.6.0 release, have settled on an equirectangular formulation with
a latitude_of_origin and a standard_parallel_1 (latitude of true scale) that
looks like:

    http://www.remotesensing.org/geotiff/proj_list/equirectangular.html

In OGR Well Known Text this looks like:

    PROJCS["unnamed",
     GEOGCS["Normal Sphere (r=6370997)",
         DATUM["unknown",
             SPHEROID["sphere",6370997,0]],
         PRIMEM["Greenwich",0],
         UNIT["degree",0.0174532925199433]],
     PROJECTION["Equirectangular"],
     PARAMETER["latitude_of_origin",5],
     PARAMETER["central_meridian",100],
     PARAMETER["standard_parallel_1",10],
     PARAMETER["false_easting",0],
     PARAMETER["false_northing",0]]

I have updated libgeotiff to add a StdParallel1 parameter in the
equirectangular formulation.

If anyone sees a problem with this please let me know.

Various GDAL details in:

   http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/2706

Best regards,