[MetaCRS] Standard (and simple) format for conversion tests.

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Nov 4 16:57:36 EST 2009

Martin Davis wrote:

> Now, how to move forward on this?  Perhaps:
> - define a prototype format (on a wiki page)

Martin,

I'd be pleased to see a wiki page setup for this.  Currently we are
using the general OSGeo mediawiki for general MetaCRS work, so I suppose
that is where it would live linked off:

    http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/MetaCRS

At some point we might make this a "proper" subproject of MetaCRS,
assign a lead and setup a Trac instance so that we can easily file
tickets against the test suite.

> - create a SVN location for this archive

I have created http://svn.osgeo.org/metacrs/testsuite under which we
can do a variety of experiments till things settle down.

> - create some sample tests in the test format (perhaps by re-modelling
> the CSMap tests?  Or using extracts from the test suites from other libs)

Reasonable

> - and then all the lib teams can get to work and start creating
> testrunners!

Yes, sounds good.

Regarding other points raised:
  * I'm ok with .csv format.
  * I'd like to use recognisable textual names for classes of test,
    and requirements (like ntv2 files) rather that bitfields!
  * I agree with MartinDe that test values likely ought to be in the
    axis orientation defined for the coordinate system though I can see
    this being a headache.

Adding a few fields in the future should not be terribly hard so we don't
necessarily need to come out of the gate with a perfect solution.  A bit
of iteration is fine with me as long as we don't lose the work done.

Best regards,