[MetaCRS] Quick and Dirty CSV File

Martin Davis mbdavis at refractions.net
Thu Nov 5 13:12:09 EST 2009

I'm going to post my comments here:

- I'm not crazy about the "Northing:nnnn" format. Seems hard to parse,
and what exactly is being communicated by this prefix? I think Norm is
on the money with his suggestion that the CRS determines the
interpretation of the ordinate values.

- Slim down the column names. Eg
Expected Destination CRS Ordinate 1 -> Dest Ord 1
Suggest 3D Distance Tolerance -> Distance Tol

- Is there agreement about the concept of a 3D distance tolerance? It
seems to me that it's better to break out the tolerances for each axis,
if that's desired.

- Instead of saying "None" or "Not Provided" just leave the field empty
(null)

- Would it be better to normalize the authority prefix out into a
separate column? This will make the table more amenable to querying in
database environments.

Martin

Landon Blake wrote:

> I busted out a quick and dirty CSV file for discussion. I attached it
> as a text file with comments. I also attached it as a Microsoft Excel
> Spreadhseet without comments and with some formatting. I can also make
> it available in Open Office Format.
>
> A couple of things came up when I was working on the file:
>
> - I provided a suggested 3D tolerance in the units of the expected
> coordinates. Does anyone see a problem with using these units instead
> of the source coordinates?
>
> - I added a comments section. I figured we could add comments there,
> without commas, of course. This will make a good “metadata” field for
> each row if needed.
>
> - I didn’t have to work with degrees-minutes-seconds ordinate values,
> but some rows might need to. I would suggest we use a format like
> 37-57-23.66554 and -121-45-18.55265 for ordinate values that need to
> be in this format.
>
> - I also propose we use the negative sign to indicate west longitude
> values and south latitude values.
>
> I will await discussion before making revisions to this file.
>
> Landon
>

> *Warning:
> *Information provided via electronic media is not guaranteed against
> defects including translation and transmission errors. If the reader
> is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
> strictly prohibited. If you have received this information in error,
> please notify the sender immediately.

Martin Davis
Senior Technical Architect
Refractions Research, Inc.