[MetaCRS] question on GeoTiff axis order

Norm Olsen norm.olsen at autodesk.com
Fri Dec 17 14:01:45 EST 2010

Hello All . . .

I'm on board with Frank on this one.  We certainly could go and redo all this to be the "correct way"; but at the cost of many man years of effort for virtually no benefit at all.  The end result after experiencing many years of agony and pain would be pretty much what we have now as technology advancement would have to take a big hit to provide the resources to achieve "axis order correctness".

Virtually every GIS/CAD/CAM system expects the first ordinate of a coordinate array to increase to the east, and the second ordinate to increase to the north, and the third ordinate (if present) to increase away from the center of the earth.

While it is nice to be "correct", the price of "correcting" 30 years of software development makes this idea unthinkable.

Norm Olsen