[MetaCRS] Vertical Coordinate Systems in .las, GeoTIFF and WKT

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Jan 12 14:33:27 EST 2010

Martin Desruisseaux wrote:
> Would you like some details about the ISO 19111 (the successor of OGC
> 01-009) perspective? ISO 19111 handles the vertical dimension in the
> same way than OGC 01-009, except in the particular case of ellipsoidal
> height (CS_VD_Ellipsoidal : 2002). If the goal is only to get a working
> library, OGC 01-009 is a simplier approach. If there is some interrest
> in the theory, the ISO 19111 approach is worth a discussion. Would you
> like me to ellaborate?

Martin,

I am interested, yes.  I am guessing that in the case of CS_VD_Ellipsoidal
there is a need to actually define the ellipsoid which may be different
than that of the horizontal coordinate system.  Is that the case?

BTW, ISO 19111 doesn't specify a WKT encoding does it?  (I mean as
opposed to an XML encoding which I assume it does do.)

Best regards,