[MetaCRS] Inf in projection results

Martin Desruisseaux martin.desruisseaux at geomatys.fr
Tue May 24 14:34:29 EDT 2011

Le 24/05/11 19:36, Paul Ramsey a écrit :
> And following on with a non-projection-related query: if you as a
> geometry processing routine got handed a geometry with Inf
> coordinates, what would you do? Give up? Coerce them into something
> else?

I would suggest to keep the infinite values. IEEE arithmetic usually do the
right thing with infinities (x/Inf = 0 if x!=Inf, etc.), and Java Math functions
are properly defined (atan(Inf) = 90°, etc.).

In Geotoolkit.org, we have allowed Map Projection to returns infinite values
(e.g. 90°N in a Mercator projection = Infinity, and ensuring that the conversion
back to EPSG:4326 give 90°N). In my point of view this actually make the
handling of geometries easier. By removing as much special cases of the like "if
(x < threshold)" as possible (which were used in order to avoid divisions by
zero in the legacy GeoTools referencing code), users have reported that the
reprojections were smoother.

Regards,

     Martin