[MetaCRS] [Incubator] Meeting 19 - July 23rd

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Thu Jul 19 12:37:07 PDT 2012

On 12-07-15 7:29 AM, Jody Garnett wrote:
> I would also like to invite anyone unable to attend the meeting to
> provide a quick status update via email, or let us know if assistance is
> required.

Hi Jody,

Here is my quick report as MetaCRS mentor. To be honest there is no real
progress to report after close to 4 years in incubation. The project is
not actively working on going through incubation, but then I have not
been pinging them about this either so it would be hard to blame them.

MetaCRS is a special case as it actually regroups several projects
dealing with coordinate reference system support, so this project is in
large part about sharing expertize, maybe even more than just code.

CRS libs are a key part of every piece of OSGeo software and I consider
that it is important to get them through incubation at some point, so I
would advise keeping them in incubation at this point despite the lack
of progress.

Hopefully when Frank (MetaCRS PSC chair) comes back we can talk about
getting the project back on track with incubation.

More about MetaCRS here:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/MetaCRS

Daniel
--