[MetaCRS] Fwd: [ol3-dev] proj4js

Andreas Hocevar andreas.hocevar at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 01:17:53 PDT 2013

I would be willing to lead that effort, because I have plans for
proj4js too, to make it play nicely with OpenLayers 3. These plans
include:

* Move the repository to github (either a proj4js organization or a
metacrs organizations if other metacrs projects want to join).

* Create a hosted build tool to create builds that only contain
projections that the user needs, with the ability to fetch projection
defs (including axis order!) from http://spatialreference.org/.

* Use Closure Compiler in Advanced Mode to ensure builds are as small
as possible.

* Make it extensible so developers can add custom transforms, and add
custom transforms e.g. for Swiss projections, where proj4js only uses
a 3 param transform because it does not do grid transforms.

* Make the validity extent a property of the projection, and let the
custom build tool fetch validity extents from
http://epsg-registry.org/ (or http://spatialreference.org/ if we can
agree on a way to extend either proj4 defs or OGC WKT defs to include
the validity extent).

I went ahead and created both proj4js and metacrs
organizations on github, as a precaution. Please let me know if you're ok
cloning the proj4js repo to github, and if I should do it in the proj4js or
the metacrs organization. Also get in touch with me to become an owner of
these organizations on github.

Andreas.

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 8:57 AM, OL3 Dev on behalf of Bart van den
Eijnden <ol3-dev at googlegroups.com> wrote:
> Seems that some people are interested in "revamping" proj4js:
>
> https://twitter.com/CWMma/status/346683497496334336
>
> Best regards,
> Bart
>
> --