[MetaCRS] CS-Map: policy for changing coordinate system/datum/transformation definitions in place

Hugues Wisniewski hugues.wisniewski at autodesk.com
Fri Oct 4 06:00:12 PDT 2013

Hi Raven,

Some digging was needed to answer this one in detail.

The transformation definition NAD83_to_HARN/02 was introduced in October 2010 for the implementation of RFC 2, which introduced the new GeodeticTransformation dictionary
http://trac.osgeo.org/csmap/changeset/1926
It was referencing the Hawaiian grid file Usa/Harn/hihpgn.l?s, which is not in UTM-2

I was branched and released that way in CS-Map 13.00 and CS-Map 13.10
As you found out, it got fixed in March 2012 for CS-Map 14.00, and the correct grid files were added instead of the one for Hawaii
http://trac.osgeo.org/csmap/changeset/2193

The reasons why this happened are:

-        The definition was wrong, the grid file was not covering the area

-        Since the beginning of CS-Map history, the only dictionary changes that have been tolerated were the content of the GDC files. There's been only a handful of those changes.
GDC files are the ancestors of the GeodeticTransformation dictionary file.
They are also the only changes the end user could perform on the local machine. GDC files were text files and could be manually edited, for instance for Canada where grid files need to be downloaded by the end user from the Canadian web site.
When the GeodeticTransformation dictionary file replaced the GDC files, the same logic was maintained. Editing of the grid files is only doable through the API or from a 3rd party UI exercising that API.
Based on this concept the Hawaian grid file was removed and the transformation was fixed without having recourse to the logic described in your email.

Comments about this are welcome of course. We could think of a different option going forward if that's an issue.

Thanks

Hugues