[MetaCRS] Differences between results for 7-param transform

Paul Nalos paul.nalos at safe.com
Mon Sep 23 09:54:26 PDT 2013

Hi Svetlozar,

Jan's suggestion (rotation convention - position vector vs. coordinate
frame) is the most probable. Of course, that suggestion can only yield two
unique answers and you have three.

Other possibilities:

The to/from ellipsoids matter a great deal. I'm not familiar enough with
each of these software packages to know if you've configured this
aspect consistently.

Finally, there are (at least) two ways to formulate the 7-parameter
transform: an approximation in very common use, and a more rigorous form.
These can give different answers.

If you get to the point that you want to establish the "right" answer, you
may wish to consult EPSG's 7-2 (http://www.epsg.org/guides/G7-2.html) document
for formulas and worked examples.

Good luck!

Paul Nalos, Safe Software Inc.