[MetaCRS] Fwd: Re: [Proj] Time dependent coordinate transformations

Chris Crook ccrook at linz.govt.nz
Fri Jan 9 09:46:45 PST 2015

Hi Martin

Thanks for the pointers.  The ambiguity I was hinting at was not just to do with converting from one coordinate system to another.  It also relates to converting a data set from one coordinate system to another, and then to a third versus converting directly from the first to the third, or for that matter from one to another and then back again.

Depending on how the late binding tables are constructed there would be no assurance that these transformations would give consistent results.  Indeed, I suspect that if mathematically if both these were enforced then that would be equivalent to using an arbitrary pivot coordinate system, though of course there is no requirement that it is encoded this way.  A tree like heirarchy is another working option.

Of course there is a philosophical question as to whether coordinate transformations should give unique or consistent results.  But in many cases this is a practical requirement (eg on the fly transformations in GIS systems)

Cheers
Chris