[MetaCRS] Promote Proj.4 4.9.2RC3 to release

Howard Butler howard at hobu.co
Sat Sep 12 18:19:36 PDT 2015

It's my opinion that the MetaCRS release process is broken. The individual projects should be responsible for their own releases. CS-Map folks voting on proj4 releases and proj4 folks voting on CS-Map releases doesn't make much sense. How are they to know if it is a good or bad release?

proj.4 has had three release candidates this cycle, and five the cycle before. My solution to proj4's moribund release situation has been to just start making lots of them. For a project such as proj4, which is now in very long term maintenance mode, I don't know what else we can do. It seems that stability of a project such as proj4 is measured by packaging maintainers more than users. Most proj4 users don't even know they're using it, and it's hidden from them by GDAL or PostGIS or whatever.

Process, such as stepping up to MetaCRS to authorize a release, is drag on an already dragged out situation. Promoting these release candidates up to an actual release is now confusing to proj4 users. Is Howard in charge? When is a RC declared final? By Howard, or by MetaCRS? Who's MetaCRS? And so on.

Is there support for authorizing the individual projects to manage their own release cycles? What purpose does it serve to have MetaCRS committee members blessing releases?

Howard