[MetaCRS] MetaCRS Tests in Proj4J (for GeoTrellis)

Martin Desruisseaux martin.desruisseaux at geomatys.com
Fri Mar 11 11:09:31 PST 2016

Hello David

Thank for the initiative. I'm a firm believer in the value of a
library-independent test suite.

One word of caution however: if I'm understanding right, this approach
takes Proj.4 as a reference implementation, is that right? I think we
should keep in mind that Proj.4 is not always right. In particular,
Proj.4 is (in my understanding) what EPSG calls an "early binding"
implementation, while EPSG rather recommends "late binding"
implementations. I can produce examples of coordinate transformations
where Proj.4 results are not in agreement with EPSG.

So my question is, why not using the GIGS tests
(http://www.iogp.org/Geomatics#2521115-gigs) instead than generating
values from a particular library?

    Regards,

        Martin