[MetaCRS] Datum Transformation Issues

Melita Kennedy melitakennedy at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 11:46:00 PST 2017

On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 11:35 AM, <metacrs-request at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2017 17:26:10 +0000
> From: Nick Fordes <nick.fordes at locusview.com>
> To: metacrs at lists.osgeo.org
> Subject: [MetaCRS] Datum Transformation Issues
>
> Hi -
>
> I am using the Proj4js library and am having trouble successfully
> transforming coordindates from ITRF 2008 (EPSG:5332) to NAD83 (2011)
> (EPSG:6317).
>
> I have bee successful in entering coordinates into the following tool and
> generating results for going from WGS83 (EPSG4326) to NAD83 (2011)
> (EPSG:6317), however, there is no transformation applied.
>
> https://mygeodata.cloud/cs2cs/
>
> Is it possible to provide me with the transformation strings needed to
> accomplish this transformation?
>
> Any guidance would be much appreciated.
>
> Nick Fordes
>
> LocusView Solutions
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2017 12:02:48 -0700
> From: Richard Greenwood <richard.greenwood at gmail.com>
> To: Nick Fordes <nick.fordes at locusview.com>
> Cc: "metacrs at lists.osgeo.org" <metacrs at lists.osgeo.org>
> Subject: Re: [MetaCRS] Datum Transformation Issues
>
> On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 10:26 AM, Nick Fordes <nick.fordes at locusview.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi -
> >
> > I am using the Proj4js library and am having trouble successfully
> > transforming coordindates from ITRF 2008 (EPSG:5332) to NAD83 (2011)
> > (EPSG:6317).
> >

> Are you getting an error or incorrect results? The espg definitions for
> 5332 and 6317 are the same (see below) but that's not to say they are
> correct.
>
> # ITRF2008 <5332> +proj=geocent +ellps=GRS80 +units=m +no_defs  <>
> # NAD83(2011) <6317> +proj=geocent +ellps=GRS80 +units=m +no_defs  <>
>

> > I have bee successful in entering coordinates into the following tool and
> > generating results for going from WGS83 (EPSG4326) to NAD83 (2011)
> > (EPSG:6317), however, there is no transformation applied.
> >

> "NAD" datums are tied to the North American continental plate, "WGS" datums
> are tied to the center of the earth. To get meter or sub-meter accuracy
> transformations you need to use a grid shift transform. Is that what you're
> looking for when you say that no transformation is applied?
>

> --
> Richard W. Greenwood, PLS
> www.greenwoodmap.com
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2017 19:21:37 +0000
> From: Nick Fordes <nick.fordes at locusview.com>
> To: Richard Greenwood <richard.greenwood at gmail.com>
> Cc: "metacrs at lists.osgeo.org" <metacrs at lists.osgeo.org>
> Subject: Re: [MetaCRS] Datum Transformation Issues
>
> Yes -
>
> I am hoping to achieve a sub-meter transformation between the two datums.
> [...]

Nick,

There are no available grid files to convert between ITRF2008 and NAD83
(2011). There is a time-enabled transformation available from the NGS on
this page: https://www.ngs.noaa.gov/CORS/coords.shtml

The time parts would allow you to convert at a particular epoch, but
proj4js (nor proj4 as far as I know) doesn't support the time-parameters.

You can use the base 7 parameters which would take care of the majority of
the difference between the two frames. The website says IGS08 rather than
ITRF2008, but you can treat them as equivalent.

IGS08 --> NAD 83 (2011)
[12 common points]
t0 = 1997.0
x(t0) = 0.99343 m;
y(t0) = -1.90331m;
z(t0) = -0.52655 m
x(t0) = 25.91467 mas;
y(t0) = 9.42645 mas;
z(t0) = 11.59935 mas
s(t0) = 1.71504 ยท 10-9 (unitless)

This would turn in to

+wgs84=-0.99343,1.90331,0.52655,0.0259,0.0943,0.116,-0.001715

Note: all signs changed to swap direction as from NAD83(2011) to
IGS08/ITRF08/WGS84. Then changed the rotation signs to convert from
coordinate frame method to position vector method. proj4 supports the
latter version only.

Melita