[Mobilitydb-users] Query regarding intersection of a temporal point with Z dimension and polygon

Sharath S Bhargav shrthsbhargav96 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 19:56:17 PST 2021

Hello Esteban,

The method st_3DIntersection is required for true 3D intersection. While
st_intersection does return results with points having 3 dimensions by
averaging the Z dimension value. But the results returned from MobilityDB
seem to indicate that is also not supported since I get a tbool with only
false values. Can I assume that MobilityDB does not support 3 dimensions in
any of the intersection functions even in a 2.5D fashion?
If the tintersect function could return true by just considering the 2
dimensions of the trajectory and average out the Z dimension that would
also work for me. I expected this behaviour since MobilityDB delegates the
spatial calculations to PostGIS and PostGIS does actually do the same and
return the intersecting line string as shown in the query example. So
considering PostGIS response, I was hoping MobilityDB could return a true
period set. It would be great if you could kindly clarify the behaviour in
this scenario. Apologies if I seem to be asking trivial questions, I am new
to the Spatio-Temporal Databases.

--
Regards,
Sharath