[Journal] Fwd: Re: OSGeo-Journal: proof reading

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Mon Apr 16 11:37:44 EDT 2007

On 16-Apr-07, at 5:00 AM, Martin Wegmann wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I asked Paolo Cavallini do do some proof-reading and he realized
> that in
> Case-Studies about Mapguide, MS SQL server etc. the application is
> partly
> proprietary and we ought discuss how far we support the
> presentation of
> proprietary software in an OSGeo Journal.
>
> any opinions?

Hi Martin,
I fully expect that many case studies and integration examples will
(should!) show open source alongside closed source.  Articles like
this are something I encourage us to seek out because they are real
world solutions.  It is a major strength of the open source
development process that we can be promoting.  If there are ways that
an article presents or confuses open source versus closed source,
then we can help the contributors by explaining how they could better
communicate the topic.  For example, I see they call proprietary
software "commercial" - an easy and not obvious mistake, since open
source software is regularly used in a commercial context, but
correcting that language can be something we can help with.

I think we'd all agree that an article that speaks only of
proprietary solutions would not be acceptable.  But the SFUF case
study definitely does do this, the geospatial side of it is the
particular focus that concerns our readership anyway.  Was there any
specific concern you guys had?