[Journal] Fwd: Re: OSGeo-Journal: proof reading

Micha Silver micha at arava.co.il
Mon Apr 16 14:38:08 EDT 2007

Hi Landon

Sunburned Surveyor wrote:

> My article was submitted for the "topical" section. I had imagined
> that this section would contain articles written on general GIS
> topics, not on specific open source software. I did make a special
> effort in the article to avoid metnion of any specific software,
> operating system, or programming language. I have personally found
> article's written in this way are of benefit to the broadest audience.
> I think too often GIS concepts are buried in "software-specific"
> details, whether that software be proprietary or open source.
> If it matters, I was hoping to show how topology could be applied with
> the Java Topology Suite in a future article or articles. JTS is
> released under the GPL, I believe.
> But Micha may be correct, perhaps the journal is not an appropriate
> place for articles that don't deal with FOSS specifically.
I'd like to assume that readers of the OSGeo Journal are indeed looking
for the FOSS viewpoint. There's plenty of general GIS stuff out there.
But that shouldn't preclude an article on important basic GIS concepts,
as long as you bridge the gap and at least mention a FOSS HowTO, or
something along those lines.
Just my 0.02€...