[Newsletter] OSGeo-.... News? Journal?

Martin Wegmann wegmann at biozentrum.uni-wuerzburg.de
Wed Mar 7 07:43:52 EST 2007

On Wednesday 07 March 2007 08:24, Micha Silver wrote:
> Jason Fournier wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I, too, like the suggestions for the name.  My personal favourites of the
> > bunch are OSGeo Journal and OSGEO Magazine.  I also like the sounds of
> > OSGeo Periodical - it's formal and is a nice umbrella term for a variety
> > of topics (much like magazine).  My only concern with Periodical is that
> > it's associated with a temporal aspect (monthly, quarterly, etc) and
> > might not fit in with OSGeo's newsletter mandate.  Just a thought.
>
> I'm happy with "OSGeo News". "Magazine" in my mind could include
> advertisements. And "Journal" brings connotations of strictly scientific
> articles.

yes that might be but there are also non-scientific Journals like
http://www.gnomejournal.org/

I hope that vol. 1 changes the impression that we will only publish scientific
article - the author of Qlandkarte already expressed his concern, that his
article does not fullfill our "scientific standards", hopefully we can change
this impression.

Personnally I would vote for Journal or Magazine to sound more ....
profressional (?), sophisticated.

> > Regarding Wiki editing and article submission - I agree with Martin's
> > suggestion to allow emailing of content to respective editors, at least
> > until we reach a critical mass of contributors comfortable with editing
> > OSGeo's wiki.
>
> Works for me, too.
>
> > Jay
>
> Regards, Micha