[Newsletter] My first attempt at LaTEX...

Sunburned Surveyor sunburned.surveyor at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 20:01:13 EDT 2007

> I've completed my article in OpenOffice and I have now attempted to move
> it to LaTEX format.

Is there a way to generate the resulting PDF as it will appear in the
Journal so I can make sure everything looks right? I don't know much about
LaTEX, but I think I will need the styling information to do this.

If this is not possible I will just have to hope for the best. :] Perhaps
the authors will have the opportunity to preview a draft of the Journal so
they can make minor revisions before the finished draft is released to the
public...

If this is the case, I need some input on how to submit my article. The wiki
says that I should just submit it to my editor. However, I don't think
anyone has volunteered to be the editor for the section of the journal my
article will be appearing in just yet. Should I send the article to Tyler,
our editor-in-chief, or to someone else?

Thanks,

Landon

P.S.

I am wondering how useful LaTEX is for authors. It seems like it is a lot
easier to proofread, spell check, and edit articles in OpenOffice rather
than in LaTEX. I personally found LaTEX to be a real pain in the neck. (I
must admit it was my first time using the format.) I don't want LaTEX to be
an obstacle for new or interested authors. I'd hate to see someone avoid
writing an article for the Journal because it needs to be submitted in
LaTEX. Might we consider using ODT to transfer the text content of articles
instead of LaTEX? At some point on the production line we could move from
ODT or even plain text to LaTEX or another format that makes the styling and
graphics production easier. I'm not trying to complain, this is just a
suggestion we might consider in the future...