[Journal] URL usage

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Tue May 1 15:29:54 EDT 2007

Hi all,
I'm still plugging away at some editing.
I have a few url-related ideas to discuss.

1/
I'm going through to make sure all urls are wrapped up using the \url
macro, e.g.
\url{http://www.osgeo.org} instead of writing it out in plain text.

2/
In most cases the urls are too long to work properly within the text,
so I'm setting them as footnotes within the text, e.g.

"For more information see the website.\footnote{The website: \url
{http://www.osgeo.org}}"

I really like that method but wonder if there were any problems with
this approach.

3/
Since we use \url{} it isn't necessary to explicitly include
"http://" in the tex file.  I'd like to keep the url as short as
possible so it is as readable as possible.  For example:
"See our website: \url{www.osgeo.org}"
or
"See our website.\footnote{url{www.osgeo.org}}"

Anyone dealt with this before or have any reasons why we shouldn't do
them?

Hope all is well with you,