[Journal] Volume 2 - timing

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Tue May 22 12:22:42 EDT 2007

Hi all,
Thanks again for the work on Volume 1.  Sorry I was out of touch so
much during the publication time, I hadn't anticipated being offline
while attending a conference out of the country.

Timing for next volume can be as slow or quick as we like.  I think
we already have a lot of great content committed.  Please add any
more ideas, even if only a guess, to the wiki  as soon as possible so
we know when we are going to be "full".  I think we are pretty close
already!

I was hoping we could have the next volume done by the beginning of
September.  That would then give us time to reformat, compile or
print copies in time for FOSS4G (Sept 24).  The way things are
looking we could probably do it faster than September, but only if
you all have time and interest to churn it out faster.

The main question, in my opinion, is how soon we are going to require
articles to be submitted.

Here is an easy schedule:

Schedule 1
* Articles welcome: Now
* Article Submission Ends: August 3, 2007  (* ~70 days to submit
articles *)
* First Draft: August 22, 2007
* Final Publication: September 1, 2007 (* ~30 days from article close *)

I personally think we could do this one month earlier to help keep
the momentum:

Schedule 2
* Articles welcome: Now
* Article Submission Ends: July 3, 2007 (* ~30 days to submit
articles *)
* First Draft: July 22, 2007
* Final Publication: August 1, 2007 (* ~30 days from article close *)

Of course, if we can push the contributors quicker, then the better
for us and the sooner we could wrap up the First Draft.

Make sense?  I'd prefer schedule 2.  What about you?