[Journal] Re: question on OSGeo Journal

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Sat May 26 14:40:10 EDT 2007

Your proposal looks good to me Dan, thanks for taking the time to
write it down.

How critical do you think it is to have a particular section for peer
review articles?  I'd rather not relegate part of the Journal to be
only for Peer Review articles, as such a category may be functionally
useful but meaningless for the average reader who won't care.  I'd
rather add some sort of header or footer or intro. text to peer
reviewed articles so they are obvious to the reader but still fit
within our "case study" or "integration" sections.

Will that work?

Could you move the text from Talk:Journal to http://wiki.osgeo.org/
index.php/Journal_Peer_Review instead?  Then we can make this a
formal page specifically around the peer review concept.

Thanks again, let's get started by first checking any of the proposed
papers that are already in the queue.  Giuliano would you like to be
the first to try out the process?

Tyler

On 25-May-07, at 4:19 PM, Daniel Ames wrote:

> Tyler and Micha and others,
>
> First I should tell you all that we just had a great 9-paper
> session on Open Source GIS in Environmental Modeling here in Prague
> at the International Symposium on Environmental Software Systems.
> There were presentations from Ari Jolma, Helena Mitasova, Markus
> Neteler, and folks from EPA, my lab and elsewhere. It went quite
> well and OSGeo got lots of good air-time.
>
> As for the review process for OSGeo Journal, I've just posted a
> proposed plan for a peer review process on the wiki here: http://
> wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Talk:Journal
>
> I've also posted a proposed timeline for the process that might
> work for Issue 2.  The bottom line is that we would put out a call
> for peer review papers on June 1 and try to have a few reviewed and
> accepted and in final form by August 3...
>
> Please take a look and let me know what you think.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dan

Tyler Mitchell
Executive Director