[Journal] Re: question on OSGeo Journal

Dan Putler putler at sauder.ubc.ca
Sat May 26 14:42:40 EDT 2007

Hi Micha,

What Dan has laid out is very consistent with the way most academic
journals are run. The listing of submitted articles results in what
is known as a "single blind" review process (where the reviewers know
who the authors of the paper are). This is common in some
disciplines. In others, "double blind" review processes are the norm
(where neither the reviewers or the authors know who one another
are). The double blind process is intended to reduce gaming behavior
on the part of reviewers. Having said this, there are always
potential conflict of interest issues. This is the reason why papers
go to multiple reviewers, with no single reviewer having control over
the process. This brings up the question of how many reviewers should
the paper be sent to? In the leading academic marketing journals, the
number of reviewers a paper is sent to has increased from three to
four over the last ten years. I think one of the reasons that editors
have done this is to mitigate reviewer conflict of interest problems.
In general, minimum qualifications for reviewers are determined by
the editor (or the associate editor in this case). The letter to a
reviewer that accompanies a submission will typically ask the
reviewer to return the paper if they feel they are not qualified to
review it. In talking to editors, there is more of a problem of
reviewers disqualifying themselves in cases where they shouldn't,
then in not disqualifying themselves in cases where they should. Over
time, editors tend to develop a list of reviewers they rely on based
on the quality and timeliness of past reviews done by that reviewer.

Dan