[Journal] Translation of the journal

Yves Jacolin yjacolin at free.fr
Mon May 28 15:05:26 EDT 2007

Le Mercredi 23 Mai 2007 17:34, Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) a écrit :
> How...
> The Journal has source code managed in a subversion code repository,
> as latex text files.  Does anyone have ideas for the best way to
> handle translated code in SVN?  I would like to keep it all in SVN
> alongside the english version - perhaps as just another folder, or
> are there special ways within svn that would be helpful to use?
> Perhaps some kind of parallel branch that would allow people to
> easily compare one language with the original english.  I'm new at
> svn, so looking for any ideas.  Let's figure this out before you do
> too much.
>
> The other main questions is whether we need translators to handle the
> latex code or not.  I think the english editorial team can help
> compile the results but won't have time to copy/paste/convert raw
> text into latex for translators.  What do others think?

Hi,

Here a first experience about translating OSGeo journal. Some people
translated some article and did not catch anything about LateX. They only
change the english sentences into french. So easy ... But I think that one
langage manager need to check that all is ok, and that he need to knwo a
liitle bit about LaTeX.

Another problem may occurs, an encoding problem. Hopefully, files seems
encoded in utf-8 so it is good to manage langage specification.

For the SVN, I propose to create one directory for each langagne (one for
english, anothers for french, italian, spanish, ...). It will allow to use
something like svn checkout http://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/journal/volume_1/fr to
download french OSGeo journal. But I am not a SVN guru (just know how use
it :-/) !

The process for french translation is :
* select an article, and note his/her name on the wiki (a special page was
created for this voulme)
* the translator send back the article
* someone choose to read and correct the translation, the file is hosted
outside the wiki in a temporary website, then send it back to the translator
manager (Me)

I will create all the PDF files and comit to the SVN (if this is the process)
or send the file to someone who can comit.

Regards,

Yves Jacolin