[Journal] Update and request for help

Daniel Ames amesdani at isu.edu
Mon Mar 10 20:57:09 EDT 2008

Hi all.  Dan Ames here... I'm excited to be involved with the journal as an
editor for peer reviewed articles and wanted to take a minute to introduce
myself to those of you whom I haven't met.

I'm an Assistant Professor at Idaho State University - Idaho Falls (USA).
My PhD is in civil and environmental engineering and I teach and do research
in the Geosciences Department here at ISU.  I've been involved in open
source GIS for the Windows platform for several years and am the project
team leader for the MapWindow GIS project (www.mapwindow.org) which is used
as a desktop GIS and also as programming components for the .NET and COM
environments in Windows.

I'm glad to see that the new OJS system is up and running and I hope that
all of you are registered as "reviewers" on the site so that we can call on
your help for peer review of articles.  Also, if you know people who may not
be on this mailing list but who would be willing to contribute their time as
peer reviewers for OSGeo Journal, then please send them the link (
http://www.osgeo.org/ojs/)

>From a journal-organizational point of view, I'd like to propose that we
come up with a better name for the peer reviewed section of the journal.
Something like, "Original Research and Technical Papers" or equivalent - so
that potential contributors of this kind of work have a place to go (i.e.
the change would appear on this page:
http://www.osgeo.org/ojs/index.php/journal/about/editorialPolicies#sectionPolicies
)

Dan