[Journal] [Fwd: Re: Next steps]

Micha Silver micha at arava.co.il
Thu Sep 24 06:55:06 EDT 2009

Up till now the Journal, as I see it, tried to fill in the gaps between
the individual projects' websites. There were a few articles on
integration between different FOSS GIS software, some specific technical
articles - again bridging between different software. And getting
updates from the whole span of FOSS GIS work in one place was also
important. It's much easier to picture the FOSS GIS ecology when you
have this kind of umbrella journal hitting each project over a period of
several issues.  So disseminating news and information has it's place,
although not the primary goal. The journal could also server as a forum
for discussing FOSS GIS issues that are not specific to one project such
as formats, standardization, licensing, educational uses etc.

I still believe that the slow pace of publication is problematic. For a
technical,  (perhaps peer-reviewed) article, waiting several months,
even up to a year, may not be a problem. But for the typical "howto"
articles, the case studies, the integration examples, waiting that time
span for an article to appear is just too long. As a simple example,
imagine an article reviewing the options for a Live GIS CD. The writeup
six months ago would be totally different than today.

While I like Tyler's suggestion to assign each issue to a different
"assistant editor", that won't replace having someone as "chief editor"
to do the pushing and nudging, and keep writers, reviewers, latexers,
etc in step with the deadlines.

Best regards,

Micha