[Journal] Next steps

Daniel P. Ames dpames at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 02:13:43 EDT 2009

Barry, I'm glad you mentioned JOSIS. I was about to comment on this myself,
and you beat me to it! These folks have some ideals that are fairly well
aligned with OSGeo ideals and it would be nice to support them. I suppose
there are a couple of ways to do that. One is to contact them about some
kind of a merger whereby JOSIS accepts some OSGeo people as board members
and in return OSGeo adopts JOSIS as it's officially sanctioned outlet for
research publication. I see this as a bit of an extreme option, but
something that might be worth considering... - Dan

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 9:29 AM, Barry Rowlingson <
b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk> wrote:

> Has everyone else seen JOSIS:
>
> http://josis.org/index.php/josis/index
>
> it seems to be run on volunteer effort, and needs 3 editors-in-chief
> and a whole load of luminaries on the editorial board. Plus
> who-knows-how-many reviewers (they just got one more).
>
> They're also using OJS for journal management, and seem to have open
> comments on pre-published articles.
>
>  They don't seem to say how often they publish an issue though.
> Perhaps these days the concept of an 'issue' is becoming meaningless,
> and articles should just be published when the editor gets the reviews
> and gives the okay? Click a button and there it is in everyone's RSS
> feed.
>
> Barry

Daniel P. Ames
www.danames.org