[Journal] Finally an Update on Volume 6

Sunburned Surveyor sunburned.surveyor at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 16:22:22 EDT 2010

Today I got a hold of my loose ends. :]

Here are where I think things stand with Volume 6:

- I still need to write the volunteer acknowledgement page. I will try
to squeeze this in over the weekend.
- I need to get Scott Mitchell a news item on the launch of the Proj4J
Project. I'm not sure if he has received any other news items. We then
need to get someone to do a quick spelling and grammar check on the
news section he has put together.
- I may archive the GRASS image processing article. Dimitiris has
provided review comments to the authors, but we aren't getting any
response yet. I don't want to hold up publication of Volume 6 for this
last article.
- The CASCADOSS article needs some revisions. Scott Mitchell is
working on Rafal on this. I'm not sure when these revisions might be
completed. I'm hoping some time next week? I am willing to help make
the revisions if needed.

The big elephant in the room is the remaining LaTex work. Barry has
been carrying most of the load in this area. (Thanks Barry!) I'm
afriad my limited LaTex knowledge means I won't be much help, beyond
converting the news section to LaTex format.

I sent Tyler some ideas about publishing the Journal directly to HTML
online, and/or putting together the PDF copies of the articles in
Scribus. I know we've got some hard core LaTex fans, but I think we
might be able to spread the actual publication process among more
volunteers if we use something more user friendly. I'm waiting for
Tyler to comment. Maybe we don't do that for this volume, but try it
on the next. I'd volunteer to putting together HTML/ Scribus files in
parallel with the LaTex process for the next Journal volume, so at
least we could see if an alternative publication process works better.

At any rate, I'm going to be looking for help to get the final LaTex
based PDF files for Volume 6 out the door. Maybe I am too optimistic,
but I hope we can get this done by the end of March. Do we think this
is possible?

Putting together Volume 6 has certainly been a humbling experience for
me. After we are done I need to sink some serious meditation into how
I can improve the process and my own perofrmance as an assistant
editor. I hope things will go much better for Volume 7. I know there
are a few things I would do way different. We've also had the learning
curve of OJS to deal with, which hasn't been easy.

Feel free to grab hold of this bull by the horns and help me rope Volume 6.

Thanks again for everyone's help and patience.

Landon