[Journal] Converting to HTML

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Thu Nov 25 14:10:54 EST 2010

Landon was asking me about converting to HTML from our latex sources, so I dug
into a few options.  Anyone used any other tools to do the job well?

* make html - in the normal OSGeo folders you can run this (a few files copied
from earlier volumes may be necessary), but the output is very coarse and
hardly usable.  It uses latex2html command - I think maybe it can be improved
if we customise a config file.  Anyone used it before?
* pdftohtml - with this command I get similar output.  I think this is same as
pdf2html on sf.net.  Not sure.
* using lyx to export HTML.  Lyx has the ability to import latex, then output
html, pdf, odt etc.  The backend it uses seems to be htlatex.  Results not so
good.

I certainly like the idea of being able to systematically create html output
during our normal build cycles.  Converting from PDF has some advantages it
seems and there are a few online services that are impressive.  For example,
shove one of our resultant PDFs through this service:

http://www.pdfonline.com/convert-pdf-to-html/default.aspx

Almost perfect and nice to look at.  At least much nicer than a long boring
looking page ;-)

Any thoughts or comments on better ways to do it?